Troubleshooting steps when a backup fails to capture a single file or group of files
Unitrends Agent software 5.0+
A single file or group of files fails to backup. In the backup record, an error similar to the following:
Read error 0 in file : file backup corrupt. The system cannot find the file specified. (2).
- Review the file in question
- Verify that the file is accessible and can be open by the appropriate application
- Check the Windows Event log for any VSS or VolSnap errors
- If VSS is failing to create a snapshot, this could cause an error of this type
- Verify that there is not another Exchange backup running through Exchange System Manager or another backup program
- Review the shadow copy setting by:
- Right clicking the drive on which the data resides
- Under the Shadow Copies tab choose Settings and set the Use limit field to 10 - 20% of the used disk space.
This error occurs when a file is either corrupt or cannot be read from the snapshot.
For more detailed information on backup failures and performance issues see Unitrends KB 5062 - Backup Failures and Performance Issues