This article addresses VSS SQL backup failures.
You receive an error �Unable to perform the scheduled backup: Please verify that the SQL Server instance 'X' is running and database 'Y' is online and has not been excluded from the SQL Server VSS Writer.�
The tempdb database cannot be backed up. Selecting this database for backup will always result in failure, and it should be de-selected from the schedule. In versions other than v5.1.0 of the DPU software, the tempdb is not selectable for backup.
Deleted or renamed databases can be resolved by:
- Viewing the schedule which ran the backup, and reviewing to see if that database appears with (unavailable) next to its name.
If this cannot be seen:
- Confirm that the DPU software is at least version 5.1
When performing a VSS based SQL database backup, this error message usually indicates one of the following:
- The database 'Y' is called tempdb (Affects v5.1.0)
- The database named 'Y' has been deleted or taken offline
- The database named 'Y' has been renamed
For more detailed information on backup failures and performance issues see Unitrends KB 5062 - Backup Failures and Performance Issues