Use Quick Setup when you are deploying your first Unitrends Virtual Backup Appliance
The first appliance you deploy will be your Presentation Appliance – this is the appliance you will connect to when managing Unitrends Virtual Backup.
The Presentation Appliance can be deployed to any hypervisor – all other Unitrends environments will be accessed from your presentation appliance provided that network connectivity is available.
The first time you connect to a newly deployed appliance you are presented with the Quick Setup wizard. You will use this wizard to complete your configuration.
Tip: You can deploy any appliances you plan to use before beginning Quick Setup, making sure they have a network address and that you’ve attached any virtual disks you will be using to store backups.
To complete your UVB configuration with the Quick Setup wizard
- Connect to the Presentation appliance using a web browser and the appliance’s IP address. The un-configured appliance web page is displayed.
- Click Yes to begin the Quick Setup. If you do not plan to use this appliance as your Presentation appliance, click No. This will take you to a page where you can enter an existing Presentation Appliance address. Clicking Go will then bring you to that appliances configure page (after logging in if needed).
- Next, select the scenario that most closely resembles your environment. For example, if you have about 10 TB or less of source data within a single vCenter, you would select Single environment.
For more than 10 TB, you would select Single large environment.
If you will be protecting a XenServer Resource Pool along with your development Hyper-V cluster, you would select Multiple Environments.
- Enter your account details and enable the Presentation role on this appliance. The account you create here is what you will use to access the UVB web interface.
Note: You can exit Quick Setup at any time by clicking Save and Exit (you will then need to complete the configuration manually).
- When finished entering the account details, click Next.
- Enable the Management role and enter your Hypervisor Details.
- Friendly Name – this is the name you will use to identify this hypervisor environment, for example ‘NY vCenter5.’
Server: IP address or FQDN of your host server (vCenter, XenServer Pool master, Hyper-V host or other standalone host address).
- Hyper-V: Enter the user name you used when you configured the Unitrends Hyper-V Services.
- VMware and XenServer: Enter administrative credentials with access to your hypervisor environment. The appliance requires these credentials to perform backup and restores.
- Password: Enter the password associated with the user name you entered.
- Click Next.
- At this point, if you selected a Single Large Environment or a Multi Environment as your deployment scenario, you are presented with a summary page with recommendations and additional steps. Click Finish to exit the Quick Setup and use the Configuration page to complete your configuration.
If you selected the Single Environment as your scenario, continue with the steps below to configure attached disk storage.
- At the Enable Engine - Backup Storage step, enter a name for the backup storage target and select the virtual disk to use to store your backups.
Note: Quick Setup allows you to configure attached disk storage only. To configure another backup storage type (CIFS or NFS, for example), exit Quick Setup and use the Configure – Environments tab in the web user interface.
A list of all available virtual disks attached to the selected appliance is displayed. If you did not attach a virtual disk to your engine appliance during the appliance deployment, you can do that now. See Adding an Attached Disk to an Appliance. Click the refresh button to display any newly added attached disks.
- Select the disk to use and click Next.
- Unitrends Virtual Backup is now configured. Click Start Using UVB to open the web interface and begin protecting your environment.