Templates can be backed up immediately or scheduled for periodic backup. Scheduled backups are more typical – you create a calendar-based schedule which specifies when VMware template backups will occur. Immediate backups are basically just scheduled backups that occur only one time and are executed as soon as possible.
Before performing a backup of a template, you must verify that the template is listed in the Navigation pane.
To add individual templates to the Navigation pane
Recently created templates might not appear in the Navigation Pane. Follow this procedure to update inventory to add individual templates to the Navigation Pane that do not appear.
- Click the Gears icon to open the settings menu.
- Click “Inventory Sync” to contact vCenter systems and import the latest inventory listings.
- When your recently created templates display in the Navigation pane, see "To execute an immediate backup of a VMware template" or "Creating a backup schedule for VMware templates" to continue the backup process.
Once the template you would like to backup appears in the navigation page, you are ready to execute a backup. Follow the procedure below to execute an immediate backup of a VMware template, or reference Backup Schedules for Templates and VMs.
To execute an immediate backup of a VMware template
- Select the Protect icon in the lefthand pane of the UI.
- Click the “backup” icon above the navigation pane
- In the Create Backup Job panel, then enter a unique job name in the Job name field.
- Under “What do you want to back up” dropdown menu, select “VMware assets”
- Select the templates you would like to back up. You may also include regular VMs for full backup in this same job if you wish. You may search by name using the search field at the bottom of the list which will highlight red any matching names. You may check as many templates as you like within the single job. For reference, checked templates will appear in the Job inventory Settings list.
- For a particular VM Template, you may select the “edit” button to exclude disks you do not need to protect.
- Click next once all VMs have been selected and any disk exclusion choices have been made (you may edit these later for scheduled jobs).
- Select “Now” under the :Select when to run this job” option.
- Select “Fulls” as the backup type. (Differential and incremental backups cannot be performed for templates. If you select Differential or Incremental for the backup type, the backup fails.)
- Backups are stored on the default device. To back up to a different device, select it in the Backup Target area under options.
- Select your reporting options under the options section for this job. The Default includes results in both the Job report and the Failure Report as necessary.
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen to initiate the backup process.
A separate backup is created for each template selected.
To view the status of the backup, select Jobs > Active Jobs. To view details for completed backup jobs, select Jobs > Recent Jobs.