Answers to common Unitrends Free product and setup questions.
Unitrends Free is free backup software that quickly deploys as a virtual appliance in VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V environments.
Unitrends Free is packed with enterprise features, such as cloud integration and instant VM recovery, and protects up to 1.0 TB of data. As your business and data protection needs grow, scale up seamlessly with an upgrade from Unitrends Free to Unitrends Backup.
- What can I protect with Unitrends Free?
- How much data can I protect with Unitrends Free?
- Does the 1 TB limit mean I can only use a maximum of 1 TB of backup storage?
- What do I have to do to get free virtual backup for up to 1 TB?
- How do I get support for Unitrends Free?
- How many Unitrends Free instances can I run?
- How does cloud backup work with Unitrends Free?
- What cloud storage providers are supported with Unitrends Free?
- Does Unitrends Free support sending backup copies to the Unitrends Cloud?
- Does Unitrends Free plan to support sending backup copies to other Unitrends service provider partners in the future?
- How do I choose which provider to store my backup copies with Unitrends Free?
- Can I upgrade to a paid version of Unitrends Enterprise Backup from Unitrends Free? If so, how?
- Can I upgrade my Unitrends Free instance to a Recovery-Series hardware appliance?
- Can I copy backup data between a Unitrends Free virtual appliance and a UB or Recovery-Series appliance?
- How can I start using Unitrends Free?
- What hypervisors are supported?
- The installer asks for a VM name. What is this used for?
- How much storage do I need to allocate for the VM?
- What if I choose not to add storage from the installer?
- What browser should I use to access my appliance?
- Can I use a cloud service provider for storage?
- Can a Unitrends Free appliance use a Recovery Series appliance as a backup storage target?
Unitrends Free also protects physical Windows servers. Unitrends Free can protect a maximum of 1 terabyte (TB) of used data across all protected virtual machines and physical servers.
For example, if you have 10 virtual machines with 50 GB of data on each machine, then you are protecting 500 GB of data. You will be able to protect up to 500 GB of additional data to reach your 1 TB protected capacity limit. No. Unitrends Free allows for unlimited retention for backups and backup copies. You are only bound by the amount of storage you provide. Simply go to http://www.unitrends.com/products/enterprise-backup-software/unitrends-free and download Unitrends Free. Install the software, which runs as a virtual appliance, and you will be able to protect up to 500 GB of protected VM capacity immediately.
To unlock an additional 500 GB, simply use the Community tile of the user interface dashboard to create your Unitrends Free Community Forum account. The total of 1 TB of protected VM capacity will be granted instantly. Unitrends Free is supported entirely within the Unitrends Free Community Forum. You are able to access tons of information from Unitrends and other community members, as well as ask the community questions and submit product ideas.
You must be a registered forum user to ask and answer questions within the forum. Registration is done directly from the Unitrends Free user interface dashboard. The Unitrends Free product license is limited to one installed copy of the SOFTWARE per company or organization. Unitrends Free allows users to perform backups to local storage and then copy those backups on a schedule to a cloud storage provider using the Backup Copy job.
Note: It is the responsibility of the user to create, manage, and pay for their cloud storage account directly with the provider. Currently, the supported cloud storage options for backup copies are as follows:
- Google Cloud Standard Storage
- Google Cloud Durable Reduced Availability Storage
- Google Cloud Nearline Storage (Beta)
- AWS S3 Standard Storage
- AWS S3 Reduced Redundancy Storage
Yes, Unitrends does intend to develop partnerships with additional cloud service providers with the Unitrends Free product.
It is entirely up to the user which provider they wish to leverage as a Backup Copy Target with Unitrends Free. Typically, these decisions come down to tradeoffs regarding the following:
Does Unitrends plan to support sending backup copies to other Unitrends service provider partners in the future?
- Cloud storage cost
- Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) â€“ how fast, and where, recovery must occur
- Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) â€“ how frequently backup copies must be sent to the cloud
- Recovery cost in the form of bandwidth and data transfer
- Geographic location of the provider
The good news is that if you leveraged Cloud buckets for backup copies, you can re-attach those buckets to your new paid edition UB appliance easily, and if necessary re-import your old backups at any future time for recovery, so you don't have to lose your backup history.
See the following deployment guides for instructions on deploying your new unit. Of course we also offer professional services to assist in that deployment and configuration that you can ask your sales rep about:
Of course, you may keep your existing Unitrends Free virtual appliance available while using your new Recovery-Series solution.
Additionally, you may also connect your Recovery-Series hardware appliance to your offsite Backup Copies. Refer to the Archiving to the Cloud section of the Recovery Series and UEB Administrator Guide for information on this process.
No, Unitrends Free can only copy backups to the supported cloud storage providers noted above.
Simply go to http://www.unitrends.com/products/enterprise-backup-software/unitrends-free and download Unitrends Free. Install the software, which runs as a virtual appliance, and you will be able to protect up to 500 GB of protected VM capacity immediately.
Can I copy backup data between a Unitrends Free virtual appliance and a UB or Recovery-Series appliance?
To unlock an additional 500 GB, simply use the Community tile of the user interface dashboard to create your community account. For more information, see How to get a Unitrends Free community account. The total of 1 TB of protected VM capacity will be granted instantly.
The Unitrends Free installer automates the deployment process. Just use the installer, complete the three-step Quick Setup, add a virtual host, and start backing up your virtual machines in just a few clicks. For more information about deployment and setup, see Getting Started in the Recovery Series and UEB Administrator Guide.
- Free editions of VMware vSphere 5.1, thru 6.7 (Free ESXI)
- Paid editions of VMware vSphere 5.1, thru 6.7 (Essentials or higher editions)
- Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 thru 2019 with Hyper-V role enabled
In addition to the hypervisor requirements, the following resources are required to deploy the Unitrends Free virtual appliance.
- A minimum of 2 virtual processors (CPUs)
- A minimum of 4 GB of RAM
- 90 GB of space for the VM's initial disk
- At least 200GB of attached virtual disk backup storage
- These minimums are for initial deployment only, and suitable for a single backup at a time. For more parallel tasks configure 1 CPU and 4GB RAM per each concurrent backup.
If you have more questions, search for other KBs, post your questions to the forum, or see Getting Started in the Recovery Series and UEB Administrator Guide for complete deployment instructions.