Shutdown a Recovery-Series system cleanly during an unplanned power outage.
During a power outage, the Unitrends Recovery-Series system needs to be shutdown cleanly. This article outlines how to implement this via APC UPS solutions.
Follow the procedure to setup APC UPS support on a Unitrends Recovery-Series system.
- The Unitrends Recovery-Series system must be running CentOS 6.
How can I tell my version of CentOS Linux?
- The APC ups must be directly connected to the Unitrends Recovery-Series system via a USB using a USB cable provided by the APC UPS vendor. The APC UPS must be connected prior to running the setup utility.
- If the Unitrends system is not a CentOS 6 system or if the UPS is not connected to the Unitrends system, stop here and complete steps 1 and 2. This process will not work if these prerequisites are not met.
- Access the Unitrends Recovery-Series system remotely using PuTTY. PuTTY will provide command line access to the system. Use the following command to verify the APC is connected using USB:
# ls /dev/usb | grep hidNote: If nothing shows after running this command, please try a different USB port on the appliance. You should see a result looking similar to, "hiddev0".
- Download the setup utility from the Unitrends FTP site. (Note: Incoming and outgoing FTP access is required during the installation process).
# cd /tmp # wget ftp://updateftp.unitrends.com/utilities/apc/gd-2.0.35-11.el6.x86_64.rpm # yum localinstall --nogpgcheck gd-2.0.35-11.el6.x86_64.rpm # wget ftp://updateftp.unitrends.com/utilities/apc/apcConfig.sh # chmod +x apcConfig.sh
- Execute the setup utility, then start the apcupsd service.
# ./apcConfig.sh # service apcupsd start (a reboot will also start the service)
Verify the script is running.
# ps aux | grep apc root 4649 0.0 0.0 104988 884 ? Ssl Nov05 0:07 /sbin/apcupsd -f /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf root 22261 0.0 0.0 103248 904 pts/0 S+ 09:37 0:00 grep apc
The script will configure the Unitrends Recovery-Series system to support a shutdown from an APC UPS via USB cable.
For Unitrends Backup or Unitrends Virtual Backup products, a shutdown command may be configured within the hypervisor.