Describes Unitrends Free features, enhancements, and fixes added in each release.
Unitrends Free is a virtual-only backup appliance that provides comprehensive data protection delivered through an intuitive user experience at no cost. We built this free version of Unitrends Enterprise Backup for the virtualization community by listening to the virtualization community.
Unitrends Free deploys as a Linux-based VMware virtual machine. The appliance performs both hypervisor-level and agent-based backups -- so you can protect the virtual and physical machines in your environment.
This document describes Unitrends Free features, requirements, and community resources. Select the desired release:
Unitrends listens to the Community! Thanks for your feedback. We've heard you and answered with these enhancements and fixes:
- VMware Installer - enhanced to show free space for each datastore
- Configuring Appliances - simplified Storage table view
- Reports - updated icons and layout for ease of use
- Storage - added icons to quickly distinguish storage types
- Tables - enhanced header format for readability
- Backups and Backup Copies - for clarity, removed the disk-level check boxes. Jobs include all disks.
- Jobs - fixed an error where disabling a job removed some Recent System Jobs rows.
- File-level Recovery and Instant Recovery - fixed an issue where the newly created recovery object did not display without manually refreshing the page.
- System Capacity Report - fixed an error where size of the last full displayed as 0.
- Dashboard - improved usability of tile preference dialogs by changing the location where they open on the page and removing the preference option from the Daily Feed tile.
Want to start enjoying all that 8.1.0-7 has to offer? Updating is simple - just select Options > Check for Updates and you're on your way.
These features, requirements, and community resources are available for Unitrends Free:
- Protect and recover for free.
- Quick and easy deployment.
- Appliance setup in seconds.
- Intuitive interface.
- Protection and recovery made simple.
- Protect up to 1 TB of unique data, with no limits on the number of machines you can protect and no constraints on the number of sockets.
- Schedule fast, incremental forever backups for daily recovery points. Changed-block tracking and incremental forever backups ensure your backups complete quickly and consume minimal storage space, since only changed data is processed after the first backup completes.
- Recover files and machines in just a few clicks. Minimize downtime with our instant recovery features. Use VM instant recovery to quickly run a virtual machine from a backup. Use Windows instant recovery to quickly run a virtual replica of a physical Windows server.
- Easily monitor backup, backup copy, and recovery jobs using a dashboard of interactive tiles.
- Cloud integration.
- Unitrends community integration.
In addition to the hypervisor requirements, the following resources are required to deploy the Unitrends Free VM appliance:
- A minimum of 2 virtual processors (CPUs)
- A minimum of 4GB of RAM
- 90GB of space for the VM's initial disk
- At least 128GB of backup storage
Support for Unitrends Free is provided through the customer community, knowledge base, and documentation.