Unitrends Appliances only support block-level iSCSI connections for backup storage (for UB Virtual Appliances) or backup copy storage (for either UB or Recovery Series appliances).
Once an effected Synology storage system is updated to release 6.2+ Unitrends will loose connection to prior used iSCSI block devices and cannot re-establish connection to the storage LUNs prior presented by the NAS device. There is no viable resolution to this change by Synology to save or recover the data, and Unitrends will be unable to reformat or re-use that volume. To continue to use the Synology device as a Unitrends UB backup storage target, the following is required:
To continue to leverage your synology NAS as a cold copy target:
- Delete the prior block device from Synology
- Configure a new device either as iSCSI or NFS or SMB3 and connect that storage to your hypervisor as a datastore
- Deploy a new UB image in your hypervisor
- Connect a virtual disk in your hypervisor to the UB located in the Synology datastore
- Perform appliance DR (if able) from prior cold copy or hot copy targets
- for DR from Unitrends Cloud targets, contact Unitrends Support for assistance
- reboot your UB to ensure there are no lingering stale iSCSI connections to the old storage device
- In the unitrends UI, remove the prior cold copy target
- Configure an NFS volume (recomended) or CIFS volume in your Synology
- Configure the created volume as a Cold Copy network share target in the Unitrends UI.